Solved

why a user have two device_id

• 9 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi, guys.

I notice a user have two device_id, but I don’t know why. can you help me?

follow is user link:

https://analytics.amplitude.com/carsome/project/335956/search/amplitude_id%3D368157807133

https://analytics.amplitude.com/carsome/project/335956/search/amplitude_id%3D369928101669

icon

Best answer by Yuanyuan Zhang 10 March 2022, 12:53

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @xiaomeng.zhang,

This is Yuanyuan from the Amplitude Support team - thank you for writing this post!

The two users you shared are both anonymous users and they have two different Device IDs. In this case, they will be considered two individual users. Amplitude merges users based on their Device ID and User ID. When the same Device ID is detected for anonymous users, Amplitude will merge anonymous users or merge an anonymous user to an existing user. When a user is an existing user with a User ID, and they log in on different devices, Amplitude will merge the events on multiple devices into one profile. Please check this article for detailed information about how Amplitude tracks unique users and merges users. 

I noticed the two example users have a custom property ‘user_id’ and they both have the value 193. But Amplitude will not merge users based on their custom properties. I suggest modifying your instrumentation and assigning Amplitude User IDs when the users can be identified. This way, users with the same Amplitude User IDs on different devices will be merged. 

Hope this helps!

Best,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Yuanyuan Zhang 

Hi, Yuanyuan

Although the device id is different, he is actually a person, the mobile phone is the same, but there are two device ids.

This happened after I uninstalled the app and re-downloaded it

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @xiaomeng.zhang

Device IDs will change after the user uninstalls and reinstalls the app because it is a random alphanumeric string generated by Amplitude. This string is stored locally in the mobile device and after the app reinstall, a new string / a device ID will be generated. Same as the property ‘‘user_id’’, custom properties cannot be used for identifying and merging users at Amplitude. 

If you would like to avoid this issue, you can either pulls the Advertising ID as Device ID or assign Amplitude User IDs to users after they sign up. 

Please check the article for how Amplitude tracks unique users in details: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003135607

Thanks for this interesting information!

In B2B lead generation Joseph Studios, the process of finding and qualifying leads is critical. While many people are skeptical about this method, there are a number of ways you can generate leads and convert them into paying customers. These methods can be done through webinars, closed webinars, email marketing, and even offline. The most effective way to generate quality leads is through lead generation companies. These companies provide quality leads in return for a fee. The first step in B2B lead generation is finding leads. You can do this in-house or hire a third party lead generation firm to do it for you. Cold-contacting potential customers can also be effective, particularly through email or social media posting. It is important to target potential customers early, as this is how you'll gain a foothold in their inboxes. Regardless of how you do it, make sure you create an effective marketing strategy.

The types of online marketing used will depend on the nature of your business, the demographics of your target market, and your budget with Joseph Studios. If your goal is to reach the largest number of people, you should use social media as a tool for reaching your audience. You'll need to pay for Facebook ads if you want to reach a broad audience. In addition to posting content, you can also use images. If you're a hair salon, Instagram is an excellent way to promote your brand. One of the key benefits of online marketing is its flexibility. Traditional marketing has very few options for advertisements, while the advantages of online marketing include a variety of methods. For example, a blog post about the healthiest cleaning ingredients can help a company's bottom line. An ad that contains these ingredients is more likely to be read than a newspaper ad. Another advantage of an article on the topic of a cleaning product is that it can be targeted.