Solved

What reasons might a user's activity not be recorded?

• 13 June 2022
  • 2 replies

We’ve recently started using amplitude, and while I was comparing event counts to expected event counts for users with the javascript sdk, i’ve found quite a few instances where users are logging into my systems and performing events that should be recorded, but nothing is coming through on amplitude. The user should have multiple events as they’re traversing through our purchase funnel and completing a purchase, but not a single event was logged. 

Is there a logical explanation for this or something I should do to further investigate the cause of missing events? From the looks of at least some of the users (I haven’t done a full dive) were using Mobile Safari, but testing from my own phone’s browser it seems to be working on a similar version iOS / safari.

icon

Best answer by Zhenia Semenina 15 June 2022, 13:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there Scott, 

so from my understanding your ios/android users are using the website just from the browser and not the app, right? 

There might be a few reasons why events are not logging in - customers might send the browser to the background / close it / they might navigate away from your funnel/ they might click something else instead of the expected steps you think they are gonna take etc. If you can not replicate it when you are following the expected path that you would think your users should take - the reason is probably that they are not doing exactly the same, otherwise their events would be recorded :) 

I recommend testing it out on a few devices / different browsers on your side to make sure it’s not an instrumentation issue 

I found at least one of the issues. Currently, we are instantiating amplitude via the external script in the head tag, which looks like it is being blocked by extensions like uBlock Origin. I found some help tips related to this so i have an idea of how to move forward!