Solved

What is the exact definition of a new user?

• 9 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I am trying to understand the exact definition of a “New” user in amplitude.

As a comparison, I understand the “Active” user is that in the defined period of time, say from June 1 - June 30, there is an user event triggered on June 2 … this user is “Active” … and if defined period is from June 5 - June 10...then the user is not “Active”…

But for “New” user,  Let use the above timeline, this user triggered an event on June 2, and at the same time, the user had events in May, April or earlier dates… if i define the time period from June 1 - June 30, would Amplitude treat this user as a “New” user although there are earlier activities/events?

Thanks,

Bill

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 9 June 2022, 17:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Bill 

A new user is a user who has logged an event to Amplitude for the first time (this includes inactive events). The time of when the user is new is the time of when they logged their earliest event. 

Amplitude would only consider that user in the time interval they logged their very first event. If this user logged their very first event on April 2nd, then they will be counted as New on that day/ week/ month of April depending on your charting interval.

The doc says it out there-
“In an Event Segmentation chart, when choosing New Users, Amplitude will look for the events fired by new users within each day/week/month (whichever interval was chosen) that the user was new. For example, if the interval is set to daily and a user was new on July 17, only the events that happened on July 17 will appear on the chart, regardless if the user also fired events the next day, on July 18.”

Hope that I have interpreted your use case correctly.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Saish,

Let’s say this user triggers events everyday during month of June...like June 1, June 2, ….June 30….

If I create a chart for All New Users in the period:

1. From June 2 - June 7, would this user be classified as a “New” user?
  2. From May 30 - June 7, would this user be classified as a “New” user?
  3. From June 30 - July 4, would this user be classified as a “New” user?

Bill

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey Bill,
It will depend if that user was new during June 1 or prior to that.
Let’s say the user was new on June 2nd i.e. sent their very first event on that day. Then -

• they would be counted as new on June 2nd ( if chart interval is daily ) and not any other following day
  • they would be counted as new in the week of June 2nd ( if the chart interval is weekly) and not any other following week
  • they would be counted as new in the month of June ( if chart interval is monthly) and not any other following month.

So the definition of when the user is considered as ‘new’ is a bit relative to the chart interval you have selected.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hmm...maybe i should added another constrain…

So user#1:

1. first time use an App on June 1…
  2. and use#1 uses the same App everyday in June...June 1, June 2….June 30

Now if I create a chart for All New Users in the period:

1. From June 5 - June 15, would this user be classified as a “New” user?
  2. From May 15 - June 15, would this user be classified as a “New” user?
  3. From June 15 - July 15, would this user be classified as a “New” user?
  4. From August 15 - Sept 15, would this user be classified as a “New” user?

Is this new at the device ID level? At the user ID level? At the Amplitude ID level?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hey @Rachael Gilbert,

I’m not the most technical, but I believe either – whatever fires first for the specific user. 

New User is a construct in Amplitude that you can use in your charts: A new user is a user who has logged an event to Amplitude for the first time (this includes inactive events). The time of when the user is new is the time of when they logged their earliest event (doc) → so it would be whatever ID is set with that first event. 

Does that answer your question? 

Does the New User definition apply at the Project or Portfolio level -- or across any Project or Portfolio in our instance of Amplitude?