Solved

V2 app with new work space and new events?

• 23 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, we will be launching our next version app in about a month

and I would like to get an advice of what I should do in this case

(should I divide this to seperate work space? or is it possible to do so?)

This is an update of an existing app,which means the app it self in the playstore won’t be two of them,

but the design and features are 50% same, 50% new. 

there are some events that should be added because nothing like this existed in the previous version.

some events to be disappeared because we deleted some buttons or options

some events need to be changed, the definition should be changed for some events, the event property needs to be changed for some.

In this case, Should I work on the taxonomy from scratch and seperate the workspace? 

(or is it possible to separate these for good?)

or should I try not to change too much properties so that I can directly compare to the legacy data.

Can you give me some advices for this?

icon

Best answer by MikkoKarvonen 23 June 2021, 10:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Before making the decision, I would ask two very important questions:

1. What do you want to do with your data? How important is the continuity of tracking user experience, user counts etc is for you moving forward?
  2. How does your current taxonomy match your needs, i.e. is there an overwhelming reason to change it dramatically?

So there are definitely situations where starting from a scratch is a smart move, but generally speaking I would make such a decision only after very careful consideration.

Keep in mind that Amplitude gives you a lot of tools to manage the shift while sticking to the same project:

1. Using version numbers (assuming you have these set up properly) in your queries makes it easy to differentiate between old and new. Smaller than and larger than filters work with version numbers too.
  2. If you’d like to change the taxonomy of some of the events, you can still have continuity in tracking user counts by creating custom events that combine the old and new versions of the event. If some of the event properties match, you’ll even have that.
  3. If you want, you can use the event settings page to hide or even delete the outdated events you don’t want to see anymore. Do keep in mind that if you delete something, you won’t get it back later if you realise that you could’ve used that after all, so hiding is the safer bet.
  4. Amplitude does have Portfolio feature that allows you to run analysis across two different projects. If you use the same UserId in both, you’ll be able to match the users, too. It’s one of the extra cost features, though: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002750712-Portfolio-Cross-Project-Analysis
Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @flor.cho ,

Marking @MikkoKarvonen’s answer as the best as it pretty much covers everything! You could also export all project data from your project using the Export API, clean/sanitize the data and import it into a new project for the new product version using the self backfill guide. It would depend on how much work is involved to change the taxonomy or start from scratch. This would come down to resources and time. However, I do think starting the taxonomy from  scratch might be more time consuming but possibly less problematic than changing the current one. It is down to how detailed it is. I hope this helps!