Understanding confusing drop offs

Hello,

Here I have an event(linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened) that is fired when a successful deposit is made. In the last 7 days I have had 85 deposits, please see image below.

When I add an event(deposit_started is a reliably fired event) that is an always fired as part of the flow to make a deposit I get much lower numbers. Please see image below.

linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened event

deposit_started event added and linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened numbers drop from 85 to 26.

But I would expect the linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened events to stay at 85.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also here are my other settings

2 replies

Badge +10

There are quite a few things that could be going on here!

Check that the “started” event does always fire as part of the deposit flow - make a user segment in a segmentation chart of those that have performed the deposit event, and chart and count their started events.

Also remember the funnel time period is always for the first step in the funnel. So it is not guaranteed that the time period is exactly the same for the deposit event in each case. Try changing the chart type to segmentation and see how it looks.

Maybe start with those things and see if you figure it out?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Really great advice, @timothy-permutable! I completely agree with you.

To add to what Timothy has suggested, I have three initial questions:

1. Are you certain that all users perform the starting event (deposit_started) and then the second event (linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened) within 1 day? Perhaps some users take 1+ days, which is why they are not being counted as converted in your funnel.
  2. Are your property filters consistent throughout the comparisons?
  3. When you say “in the last 7 days I have had 85 deposits” -- is this when you query on just linkDepositInProgress_screen_opened in the funnel?