Solved

Trying to add a custom value on user lookup

• 3 February 2021
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to pull in custom value (it’s a property called “name” that we created) on the user lookup.

The goal: we’d like to view the User-Lookup sorted by “username” on our app, rather than the user ID (which is a string of long numbers)

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 3 February 2021, 04:06

Hey @Elliotspark ,
From what I know, we can only select and sort only on the default Amplitude User properties in the User & Account Look-Up tab/section. Not sure if this can be tweaked or not yet.

Here’s my take on the workaround based on my understanding of your end goal:
You might have to reset the User Id property as the value of your custom “name/username” property going forward if you really need to sort on that in the user lookup results. This could potentially cause user identification issues since the user id property won’t be consistent anymore ( numeric vs text ) and the instrumentation will have to be started afresh in a new project.
Hope this helps! 

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @Elliotspark ,
From what I know, we can only select and sort only on the default Amplitude User properties in the User & Account Look-Up tab/section. Not sure if this can be tweaked or not yet.

Here’s my take on the workaround based on my understanding of your end goal:
You might have to reset the User Id property as the value of your custom “name/username” property going forward if you really need to sort on that in the user lookup results. This could potentially cause user identification issues since the user id property won’t be consistent anymore ( numeric vs text ) and the instrumentation will have to be started afresh in a new project.
Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As @Saish Redkar has mentioned, it is indeed limited to the Amplitude default User Properties.

One thing to note regarding his suggestion is that we would normally encourage you to set your User ID as something that will not change. In the case of a username, if there is a scenario in which your user changes their username, Amplitude will then treat them as a completely new user. You can read more about assigning User IDs by referring to this article: Assigning User IDs

Would it be possible for you a share a little more about your use case on why you would like to sort it by this Username/have the ability to add columns to the User Lookup page? That way, I can help you to share this with our Product team!