Solved

Shopify user id vs server-side user id

• 16 November 2022
  • 2 replies

We have an existing Shopify store that is fulfillment for free healthy meals. I’ve hooked up Amplitude with the Shopify App, but I’m confused on how to add our server-side id (People ID or PID) to each record.

Since Shopify automatically uses email for their user id, how can I inject the PID for each session? Every session into the store (browse, login, or create account) has a PID we can inject.

At some point, I discovered an article that talked about how to do that for Amplitude, but it didn’t cover the case of Shopify and the reality that user_id will be the Shopify user_id.

Any help is appreciated!

Paul

icon

Best answer by jarren.patao 17 November 2022, 19:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @starchild, right now the Shopify App allows for two options for user identifiers to pass into Amplitude. This will either be available as an Email or a Hashed Email (SHA-265). (docs)

However, our team is always open to suggestions regarding improvements to our features! It could be a great idea to provide to our product team which can always be submitted here: https://community.amplitude.com/ideas

I’ll go ahead and internally place this request, but otherwise hope this helps clarify our current limitations.

OK, that is what I expected.

So it looks like I’ll need to have a server-side call to “inject” the People ID into every session as a custom user property, correct? And that will work with Shopify?