Solved

Searching function broken for user property "experiment"

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi,

when I am creating a cohort, I am trying to setup the user property “experiment” with 2 conditions:

1. select a version number (it is working fine)
  2. make a condition that user property “experiment” DOES NOT CONTAIN stings: (for example) string_a, string_b

but when I look into cohort individual user’s property “experiment”, either “string_a” or “string_b” is included in the property list…

would “DOES NOT CONTAIN” clause not select users with “experiment” property containing both “string_a” or “string_b”?

Bill

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 13 July 2022, 20:12

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Bill ! Thanks for writing in and happy to help! 

It is the case that the clause where user property “experiment” DOES NOT CONTAIN strings: (for example) string_a, string_b would select users who meet this condition any time within the date range selected. So if the user at some point in time since July 1st had an event where the experiment property does not contain string_a or string_b, then that user will be pulled into the cohort. 

This is not however a mutually exclusive clause so this does also mean that a user included in the cohort could possibly had experiment property contain string_a some time since July 1st. 

If you are looking to exclude users who at any point in time had the value since July 1st, please use AND NOT WHO clause for your cohort definition: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033562312#identify-users-who-lack-a-particular-user-property-in-the-last-3

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

if i create a cohort definition as following:

• contains ‘string_a’
  • not contains ‘string_a’

should i expect there will be 0 users in this cohort?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Apologies! I missed the follow-up post. See answer here: