Solved

Renaming Events and Properties

• 9 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

Hi! I was wondering if it was possible to rename event names or event/user properties after they’ve been initialized.

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 9 September 2021, 15:46

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi Carissa!

Indeed you can! If you are the admin or manager of the organization, you should be able to go into Govern on the left panel at the bottom, go to Events, hover over an event name and then click the blue > icon, now if you click on the event name, you should be able to rename it.

Hope this helps! :)

Badge +1

That makes sense, thank you! Would changing the event name in the tracking code also update the event name for future tracked events?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

As, in you change the code from Event_Name=”A” to Event_Name=’B’? No, if you were to rename the event in the tracking code, it would just create a new event of that name. When it comes to renaming events, it should always be done in Govern and then the event from the code should be changed to the new event name. Hope that clears up the confusion but if anything is unclear, tag me in the comment and I will come back as soon as I can :D 

Badge +1

Yeah, that answered my question, thanks!

Hey @Denis Holmes 

Can you confirm if the events can be renamed after they have started being ingested into Amplitude? I see a tooltip upon hovering saying “cannot rename event after ingestion”. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @shreejith ,

You can change the display name in Data but that is only for the UI. Once the event is ingested, it cannot be renamed unfortunately. However, you are free to delete or block the event and then send in a newly named event in it’s place. 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Got it, thanks for the clarification @Denis Holmes 

So just to be clear @Denis Holmes, if I rename an amplitude event in the ui and then I run ampli pull to fetch updated definitions, the name of the event’s functions won’t change and the event history for that event will be preserved?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Carl Rodriguez good question, there are more details on how to rename events here. And I’ve also opened a ticket for you so a team member can help with this. They should reach out by email.

Any of you know whether after you rename an Event or an Event Prop whether they update to the new name on the charts that used them? or will it break them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Sara Valverde 

From what I have seen, the update should work seamlessly on the existing charts. It usually takes anywhere between 5-10 mins for the UI to reflect the change.