Solved

Pageview for main feeds?

• 19 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi! 

I have a page which contains a main feed, think of LinkedIn or Facebook.So there are many posts on the feed that the user can scroll down and view.

My question is, is there anyway to track which posts the users scrolls past? For example some post only have a few lines of text or even just an image, so it is not neccesary to tap into the post to view it.

But currently we have no way to track the views of the posts that users have just scrolled past.

Is this even possible to track?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Michael 

icon

Best answer by MikkoKarvonen 20 October 2021, 11:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @hl_wang ,

Thanks for writing into Community! While there is no native method in the Amplitude SDKs to handle a situation like that, I believe you could implement something home made for this. While I am not entirely sure how one would go about this or the structure of your software architecture, but I am sure you could make an in-house version. I am not too sure about the code of this but I imagine you would have some values populating for what the next post will be and you could periodically measure the time between pixels on the screen, for example?

I’m not much of a coder I am afraid so you would need to speak to your development team about that! :)

Other than that, I am sure the abundance of questions on StackOverflow and SDKs available in GitHub,  someone has surely done the same at some point which you can tweak to your needs. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi! 

I have a page which contains a main feed, think of LinkedIn or Facebook.So there are many posts on the feed that the user can scroll down and view.

My question is, is there anyway to track which posts the users scrolls past? For example some post only have a few lines of text or even just an image, so it is not neccesary to tap into the post to view it.

But currently we have no way to track the views of the posts that users have just scrolled past.

Is this even possible to track?

We have something similar in our app, and have successfully built analytics to understand exactly what you are looking for. Our implementation looks like this:

EventName: FeedScrolled
EventProperty: NumberOfItemsSeen

How to best capture this depends on your technical implementation. You’ll need to be extra careful in defining an event like this, though. You’ll need exact definition for what counts as a seen item (is it enough to see part of it, does it have to be fully visible, does it have to be in the middle of the screen), how do you handle situations when the user is scrolling back and forth, and when you actually send the event, as there isn’t necessarily a natural trigger for it.

I would start by thinking about what questions you want to answer with this data and define your event and properties to match that.