Solved

North Star Metrics for Administrative or Financial (internal) Products

• 31 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there. We are implementing North Star Metrics and we are using the Amplitude Framework.

We are struggling to get good results for administration and financial products in our company like procurement, controlling or accounting.

But we as the IT provider are offering these products to our business and stakeholders (all within the same company) and we would like to have North Star Metrics and Input Metrics there as well.

Could someone share examples? 

icon

Best answer by john.cutler 3 June 2021, 22:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Matzus . An example for procurement could be something like:

Healthy Procurement Projects
** completed/closed with N # of days of initial request
** using an existing template, or a minor customization of an existing template
** using standard collaboration channels (e.g. they use the capabilities you developed to collab)

This would be appropriate with a product/capability whose goal was to make procurement efficient for all parties. You’d need to brainstorm inputs that facilitated this impact. 

Badge

Hi @john.cutler 

thanks for your suggestion.

• the days for closing a request sounds like a good NSM from my point of view. The average will not have much relevance to an individual request tho since they are all differently complex. But over time and enough requests the average can be relevant metric to itself’s past values.
  • the part of an existing template I don’t understand. I do not get the growth and customer value aspect.
  • using standard collaboration channels I  see as an input metric to the first one (days for closing).

Is NPS a good North Star Metric for those Administrative Services? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Matzus Thanks for this question. Somehow the team missed it!

I got some feedback, and this article by Jared Spool is a good overview of why NPS isn’t always ideal. https://articles.uie.com/net-promoter-score-considered-harmful-and-what-ux-professionals-can-do-about-it/

North Star Metrics are a closer proxy of value being exchanged. NPS asks people to predict future behavior. Try to think of the behaviors/signals that would be a closer proxy for sustainable, differentiated growth and value to customers.

Hope this helps!