Solved

Multiple device ids, but device has not changed

• 25 February 2021
  • 2 replies

I’m having an issue where for same user (same User ID), I am getting up to 5 device IDs. Yet, this user definitely only has one device. 

1. In what situations does this happen?
  2. Is it common to fire backend events that do not contain a device ID (and id this the reason for this issue?)
icon

Best answer by jarren.patao 25 February 2021, 21:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @eeeddd,

1. Users can have up to 100 device_id’s stored within the Amplitude UI because it can be expected to see multiple devices from a single user. 

If you’re using our SDK and if your events are coming from an individual device, but generating new device_ids— a common reason could be due to regenerating the device id at a specific step or your user could have also simply gone to an incognito browser where their browser cookies would not referencable so our SDKs would generate a new device_id value. Amplitude will use local storage to send events from devices where cookies are inaccessible.
  2. Backend events are usually sent via our HTTP/Batch APIs where the device_id field needs to be input manually to your calls.

Hope this helps!

-Jarren

Badge

Hi, I just came across this old conversation about to post a topic. I am seeing LOTS of device IDs for our internal users mostly, like almost 100 on some, when they only use 1 or 2 (see screenshot).

We do have a feature that allows our internal users to ‘view as end user’ so they can do screenshares with our customers, of the customer account. I can’t imagine this would have any impact on tracking the device ID...but wondering if I can troubleshoot or share anything with an engineer to look into.