Issues on Funnel view?

Badge

Hi,

We have a product that is connection flow with different steps. On each steps, the user can do an action and progress to achieve a connection successfully.

We track events on each steps. We are now trying to understand how our users are successfully connecting thanks to this flow, and where they are dropping.

Now, something doesn’t really make sense to me. We don’t know if we can rely on the data, or maybe I didn’t understand how funnels work:

- the event “listing publish” shows 2 users,
- if I move this event as a first step, the data change, it shows 136 users.
But our users can’t access the last step if they don’t go through all the steps.
My expectation would be to always see the same number, whatever the position of the event.

Could you please explain what I might have missed?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hey @ldfyvpp,

What is the conversion window set to? Is it possible that the majority of users who make it to “listing publish” are doing so after the conversion window ends?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in, happy to assist with this!

Could you please send a link to this chart that you are trying to build? 

Then we could look at the steps and see how your customers actually navigate your product :) 

Thanks! 

Badge

@SheenaGreen 1 day, but if I add 30 days, the same logic applies: moving the last step of the flow in first will increase its value.

@Zhenia Semenina sure! the funnel is here

Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there,

thank you for the link! 

So since you have funnel set to ‘this order’ - it means that all of these steps have to be performed in this exact order. 

So the reason why you see only 2 users ended up as converted is that a lot of them fall out of the funnel when you are moving from step to step.

For example, you have a huge drop from sync type (112 users) to config step (2 users) and the reason is because most of your users go ahead and do something else after sync type. 

You can actually see user paths if you open ‘User paths’ tool in the Microscope: 

almost 70% of users go straight to ‘taxes save-btn’ and not to config step and this is where you funnel breaks (because users HAVE TO perform all actions in ‘this order’, meaning sync type → config step → taxes step but what is happening in reality is sync type → taxes step

You can see the difference in numbers if you move the taxes step one up: https://analytics.amplitude.com/lodgify/chart/vq7klkt/edit/v5j3e6r 

Hope this explains how you are losing your users along the way :) 

Best,

Zhenia