Solved

Google Play Data Safety

• 19 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello,

Given Google’s new Data Safety requirements, is there a guide for this specifically for apps using Amplitude?

I’ve had to go over the existing docs carefully and I think I know what I have to “tick” for the data Amplitude collects, but it would be great to be 100% certain about my choices.

RevenueCat has a guide here: https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/google-plays-data-safety which I found really helpful. It would be really nice to have an Amplitude equivalent.

Thanks in advance,

Christos

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 28 January 2022, 22:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @yallurium ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community :wave:  and I’m happy to help!

It is the case however that we don’t have a guide equivalent to the RevenueCat one that you shared. That said, I’m more than happy to share this feedback with the Docs team! 

In the meantime, do you have specific questions that you would like me to look over? 

Badge

Hello! This would come in very handy.

All developers are required to fill the new Data Safety form for all uploaded apps by February, and app updates will be rejected from April if this is not filled. It would be really handy to have the details of the information Amplitude collects and how's it's handled to make these fillings easier.

Here's another example from the Firebase docs:

https://firebase.google.com/docs/android/play-data-disclosure

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @yallurium and @Thoramaz ! I checked in with our Legal/Security team regarding to this request and they provide me with the following: 

Amplitude is a data neutral and data agnostic platform. Customers control what data they send to Amplitude’s platform, and in what form. Therefore, any app that is available in an app store that uses Amplitude to collect user data would need to provide its own answers to the app store's questions based on its own use case/configuration of the Amplitude services.

Because customers choose what data they want to share with Amplitude, it is therefore difficult for us to answer these questions for customers. Hope you can understand and let me know if you have any follow up questions! 

Badge

Hi @yallurium and @Thoramaz ! I checked in with our Legal/Security team regarding to this request and they provide me with the following: 

Amplitude is a data neutral and data agnostic platform. Customers control what data they send to Amplitude’s platform, and in what form. Therefore, any app that is available in an app store that uses Amplitude to collect user data would need to provide its own answers to the app store's questions based on its own use case/configuration of the Amplitude services.

Because customers choose what data they want to share with Amplitude, it is therefore difficult for us to answer these questions for customers. Hope you can understand and let me know if you have any follow up questions! 

Hello belinda, thank you.

I understand that we may end up collecting several different data.
I was wondering which data is collected by default as a minimum by the Amplitude SDK itself. For example, in the amplitude board we can see the user's country, IP address, and other information.

Thanks

Is it correct that I keep track of crashes and ANRs even though I only use the stuff in the play console? I hardly ever use the Android vitals.