Solved

Get user properties in Javascript SDK

• 3 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Is it possible to get user properties or just set them? I’m currently using `Identify().append()` to add Optimizely experiment IDs to an `experiments` property, but if a user visits the same page, that experiment is added to the array again. I’m trying to figure out how I can avoid duplicating items in the array.

icon

Best answer by Zhenia Semenina 17 August 2022, 11:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in! 

We use Identify to work with user properties and currently this is indeed the best way to update / edit/ set user properties. 

To avoid duplication you could try and build some internal logic in your code that would check current items in the array and only append a new one if it does not exist yet (e.g if...else)

That’s what comes to mind! 

@Zhenia Semenina That’s exactly what I had in mind, but couldn’t figure out how to access the current items in the array. Is there a method for that? All I’ve seen in the docs is setters, no getters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You could try to make a call using User Profile API and check properties assigned to a specific user.

Read more on it here: 

https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/analytics/apis/user-profile-api/#get-user-properties 

I would not be able to provide exact code snippets but maybe someone on the forum implemented something like this in the past? Would love to hear your experience! 

Best,

Zhenia