Solved

Does Active user includes New user?

• 3 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi, I got a simple question here.

According to the definition, “Active user” refers to the user who occurs “active” event during the set time range, and “New user” refers to the user who logged an event first time during the set time range.

So, I got a question how “Active user” and “New user” is defined in each time interval.

For example, user A logged an “Sign Up” event first time on 3/1 and logged and “ViewProduct” event on 3/2. (both events are active)

If I make an Event segmentation chart of Any active event during 3/1~3/7(daily) and select “New user” on the segment module, only 1 event(“Sign Up”, 3/1) will be occurred on the chart, right?

Also, if I choose “Active User” on the segment module, only 1 event(“ViewProduct”, 3/2) will be occurred on the chart, right?

However, as there are no exclusive meaning in the definition of “Active user”, I’m not sure if the event which is triggered by “New User” will be occurred on the chart if I choose “Active user” on the segment module.

To wrap it up, I’m wondering whether ‘Active User” excludes “New user” on the segment module.

Happy to ask first time here. Thanks for reading!

icon

Best answer by SheenaGreen 3 March 2022, 18:19

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @sangilchoi,

My understanding is that Active and New users segments are not mutually exclusive; Active users include new users. 

To verify, I performed an event on an incognito Chrome browser, so I am a New user in this instance. On the segmentation chart, I specified the device ID of my user profile. I then switched from New and Active, and saw that my user profile was counted in both segments:

Additionally, I wanted to clarify this part of your question - please see my notes in red: 

If I make an Event segmentation chart of Any active event during 3/1~3/7(daily) and select “New user” on the segment module, only 1 event(“Sign Up”, 3/1) will be occurred on the chart, right? This is correct!

Also, if I choose “Active User” on the segment module, only 1 event(“ViewProduct”, 3/2) will be occurred on the chart, right? For Active User, you should see 2 events - Sign Up on 3/1 and ViewProduct on 3/2. Your chart is looking at daily intervals, so it’s counting the unique users who perform an active event each day. 

Hope this helps!