Solved

Do I need to show AppTrackingTransparency prompt to use Amplitude for analytics? I don't use IDFA and show any ads in my app.

• 15 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

We are using Amplitude only for analytics purpose. We use Amplitude’s SDK. We don’t show any ads and we don’t sell user data to any 3rd party. We don’t want to use IDFA.

Most of the users skip the AppTrackingTransparency prompt.  After iOS 14.5, we are not able to get user analytics for at least 50% of active users. This is a big problem for us when it comes to learning about users and improving the app experiences. 

I want to know if we can choose not to show AppTrackingTransparency prompt and still use Amplitude? 

Apple clearly mentions here that IDFV can be used for analytics across apps from the same content provider. So, if we understand correctly, if we use IDFV, we can choose not to show the ATT prompt. 

I have already gone through this link by Amplitude. It doesn’t solve my problem. Even if I use IDFV, Apple still rejected our app. Is there any step in terms of declaring our intent that we are missing out and that’s the reason Apple is rejecting our app? 

I have gone through this link as well. Looks like there are several ways to track unique users. We can also use Amplitude ID, will it allow us not to show ATT prompt? 

We can definitely improve the app messaging to show why we are asking for permission but ATT prompt talks about showing personalised ads and it’s a hard to nullify that strong message from Apple although we don’t show any ads at all and we don’t sell any kind of user data to a 3rd party.

Most of the users trust Apple more and don’t give permission. 

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 16 November 2021, 10:49

View original

3 replies

Badge

We are using Amplitude only for analytics purpose.  We don’t show any ads and we don’t sell user data to any 3rd party. We don’t want to use IDFA.

[Correction: We talk to Amplitude via Segment. We don’t use Amplitude’s SDK]

Most of the users skip the AppTrackingTransparency prompt.  After iOS 14.5, we are not able to get user analytics for at least 50% of active users. This is a big problem for us when it comes to learning about users and improving the app experiences. 

I want to know if we can choose not to show AppTrackingTransparency prompt and still use Amplitude? 

Apple clearly mentions here that IDFV can be used for analytics across apps from the same content provider. So, if we understand correctly, if we use IDFV, we can choose not to show the ATT prompt. 

I have already gone through this link by Amplitude. It doesn’t solve my problem. Even if I use IDFV, Apple still rejected our app. Is there any step in terms of declaring our intent that we are missing out and that’s the reason Apple is rejecting our app? 

I have gone through this link as well. Looks like there are several ways to track unique users. We can also use Amplitude ID, will it allow us not to show ATT prompt? 

We can definitely improve the app messaging to show why we are asking for permission but ATT prompt talks about showing personalised ads and it’s a hard to nullify that strong message from Apple although we don’t show any ads at all and we don’t sell any kind of user data to a 3rd party.

Most of the users trust Apple more and don’t give permission. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Abhi ,

You can choose to turn on IDFA (or not, in this context) from the iOS SDK. So you will only need to enable it when you want to use it, otherwise you can progress as normal. If you do not enable it, then the ATT will not trigger and users can use the application as normal. You do not need to do anything with the SDK if you do not want to use the IDFA. The only thing is if you are doing mobile attribution, it will not be tracked as this relies on the IDFA. 

You should be able to use the default IDFV instead and this should stop the ATT. You have tried this and it is still rejected? And you have made sure not to use the IDFA? 

Badge

Hi @Abhi ,

You can choose to turn on IDFA (or not, in this context) from the iOS SDK. So you will only need to enable it when you want to use it, otherwise you can progress as normal. If you do not enable it, then the ATT will not trigger and users can use the application as normal. You do not need to do anything with the SDK if you do not want to use the IDFA. The only thing is if you are doing mobile attribution, it will not be tracked as this relies on the IDFA. 

You should be able to use the default IDFV instead and this should stop the ATT. You have tried this and it is still rejected? And you have made sure not to use the IDFA? 

Hey @Denis Holmes, Thanks for the quick response.  We use Segment SDK in the App and we talk to Amplitude via Segment. We will give it another shot by using IDFV and see how it goes.