Solved

Can't get Amplitude Chrome Extension to work on Mac (Monterey)

• 21 December 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’ve been trying to get the Amplitude Chrome Extension to work, but haven’t been successful. I’ve tried reinstalling, restarting everything, changing the different privacy settings, etc… but can’t seem to get it working. I’m on a Mac with the latest OS (Monterey) and using the latest Chrome version. 

Please help!

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 28 December 2021, 22:08

View original

7 replies

Badge

Clarification, I’m able to get the chrome extension to work while on Amplitude’s website but not on my own. Is there something specific that I need to implement in our integration to get the chrome extension to work?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @happylemon - I ran into this problem myself! The Instrumentation Explorer chrome extension icon was greyed out and not working until I logged my first event in my .html file. Does it work/turn blue once you do that?

https://developers.amplitude.com/docs/javascript#basic-events

var event = “Button Clicked”;

amplitude.getInstance().logEvent(event);

Badge

Thank you for your response, @jmagg! It turns blue, but then it just doesn’t show the expected logs when I click on it. Below is what I see, which is essentially just the generic settings to manage the extension. 

On Amplitude’s site, it works as expected though. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @happylemon - would you mind sharing the URL to your website so I can see if the extension works on my end?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @happylemon ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community! :wave:

Something I’ll like to add is that Amplitude Instrumentation Explorer is an extension in the Google Chrome Web Store that helps you examine and debug your Amplitude JS SDK instrumentation through interactions with your website: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003032451-Instrumentation-Explorer-Debugger

If you aren’t seeing your events pop up in the extension, there are three reasons:

1. You are not using Amplitude JS SDK
  2. You are not instrumenting Amplitude JS SDK correctly
  3. You are not doing an action that is trackable or set-up to be tracked in your instrumentation

Other than the three reasons above, there’s also adblocker which will block Amplitude tracking. But since you said you see events appearing when you are on the Amplitude website, I assume that you do not have adblocker on. 

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions. 

Badge

Thank you! Problem solved!

Thank you! Problem solved!

Hi, may I know what you exactly did to solve the issue as I am also facing the same issue?