Solved

Can I batch edit Event Types?

• 3 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hey all,

I’ve gotten myself into a bit of (not totally terrible) pickle. I am doing some proof of concept for our application ahead of a major release of the platform and the current iteration has poor (if non-existent) page titles.

So, in passing Page events from Segment, I set it to use Viewed context.page.path which passes the full path of the page.

Not being familiar with Events vs. Event Types in Amplitude, this created a bit of a problem: Every variation of every set of parameters (userids, objectids, etc.) created a new event type.

I didn’t even realize until I got the notification that we were approaching our maximum of unique event types.

So, I’ve (for obvious reasons) adjusted that page call from Segment to just use “Viewed” as the action and I can set up different custom events and segments based on the massive variety of data we are passing with it.

But, here’s the big question: Can I batch edit the ~1990 event types that I have and fold them into the “Viewed” event type?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 3 November 2021, 19:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @lantz 

You’ll have to use the Transformations feature which allows you to retroactively merge events/properties, which might help in your use case. This is a part of the Govern Add-on which is a paid add-on and is available to Growth and Enterprise customers.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks @Saish Redkar  - we are on the Starter plan, so I don’t have that option. It’s actually okay because all of this data is poisoned with some bad identifiers (outside of the event type issue) anyway, so I think the best thing to do will be to start fresh with the proper schema when i get it in on our release this week.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@lantz - you can use the Export API to pull all the data from your project, sanitize the data you'd like to remove, and then perform a Self Backfill and use Batch API to push events into a new Amplitude project. Hope this helps!