Solved

Can I add members to a Dynamic Cohort?

• 26 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi, I apologise if this is a trivial question but I am new to amplitude and the community. 

I have set up a dynamic cohort based on a specific event, however this event was only recently added to our product, and as such I have a large number of users who were never given the option to perform this event in the past. 

For the purposes of segmentation, I have manually atirbuted the correct cohorts to these historic users, and was hoping to be able to add them to the dynamic cohort which will now be my ground truth. 

I know how to create a cohort based on a csv list, but cannot find a way to add these users to the dynamic cohort. Is there anything I can do to join them? or am I stuck with broken data for all eternity?

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by MikkoKarvonen 27 May 2021, 06:37

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi, I apologise if this is a trivial question but I am new to amplitude and the community. 

I have set up a dynamic cohort based on a specific event, however this event was only recently added to our product, and as such I have a large number of users who were never given the option to perform this event in the past. 

For the purposes of segmentation, I have manually atirbuted the correct cohorts to these historic users, and was hoping to be able to add them to the dynamic cohort which will now be my ground truth. 

I know how to create a cohort based on a csv list, but cannot find a way to add these users to the dynamic cohort. Is there anything I can do to join them? or am I stuck with broken data for all eternity?

Thank you! 

I don’t think there is an option to do exactly what you are looking for, but two ways around this come to mind:

1. Having both the dynamic cohort and the static cohort and adding them both in the charts you are creating. Not as separate cohorts, but selecting both in the same cohort definition. That way you’ll get the users in both cohorts grouped together.
  2. Alternatively you could set a user property for the users in the static cohort, and add this user property to the definition of your dynamic cohort. It’s bit of an effort of course, but if this is a major feature to track for you, it might be worth it. If you are comfortable using curl, you could do this using the Identity API: https://developers.amplitude.com/docs/identify-api
Badge

Thanks! I took the property approach (2) to keep the cohorts as clean as possible. 

cheers,