Solved

Can Amplitude still stitch together session IDs in an iOS14 world?

• 22 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Background: I’ve used Amplitude in a previous company before and managed to create an attribution model that included first click + last click data on a user level.

Goal: I’m at a new company and would like to be able to stitch first click + last click UTM data before a user creates an account and link that data to the account creation User ID. Trouble is that iOS 14 might mess things up.

Question: How does Amplitude stitch together different sessions from the same anonymous user and can that first click UTM data be linked to an account creation? Or has there been some lost functionality since the introduction of iOS 14?

Thank you, I had a search of your help FAQs and other questions posed here before but couldn’t find a similar question.

icon

Best answer by Kimmo 26 October 2021, 16:25

View original

1 reply

Badge

We don't really stitch sessions together if they mean that in respect of session id. Instead we do is using user id or device id to figure out which user are we tracking.

Specific for attribution use case as user is anonymous for IOS we user IDFV as device_id which would stay constant unless user uninstalls the app.

So yes we can stitch first click and last click as long as there is no app uninstall between as new install is new IDFV, if there is also user id we could also stitch between installs as now we would just end up with user with 2 devices (2 installs of the app in same device in reality) 

I think this also creates nyance I need to add into our docs. Earlier when using IDFA as device_id we would have known constant device accross installs as same device. Todays world each new install even in same device looks like a new device for a same user. 

You could still set IDFA as device_id but I woundn’t advice it.