Best practice for Automated Releases?

• 18 August 2022
  • 3 replies

I’m hoping to learn the best way to set up Amplitude Releases for our React webapp. I’m confused by some of the documentation on what the best practices is for instrumenting Releases to be fully automated. 

This documentation describes how to use the API and make it part of our deploy process, and seems like the best way to automate with a single source of truth for our app version. 

This documentation describes the integration as setting the release version as a user property in client side code. Seems okay, but then we’d have to track release versions separately in our codebase, and would require developers to be on top of updating the versioning. 

I’m wondering if anyone can share learnings on how they instrumented the Releases integration and any insights along the way. Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi!

Just wanted to clarify that the Release API would be adding a value to the same ‘Version’ user property that is mentioned in the other help center article. The only difference is that the API would be creating releases programmatically and the other article shows you how to set it up in the UI, In order for you to get learnings on how others instrumented the Releases integration and any insights along the way could we turn this into a conversation topic so multiple people can reply?

Best,

Sydney

@sydney.koh Thanks for the clarification! And yep definitely happy to make it a conversation. Am I able to do that or will an admin need to? (not seeing an edit button on my post)

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We can do it on our end! Thanks for asking. Do you have any other questions for Amplitude support?