Solved

App Set ID instead of Ad ID...implications for existing data?

• 8 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m currently looking at the Android 12/Google Ad ID topic and it is my understanding, that the Amplitude documentation suggests to use the App Set ID to identify a specific device instead of the advertising ID. Or in more technical terms client.useAppSetIdForDeviceId(); instead of client.useAdvertisingIdForDeviceId();  

Before implementing this change I would like to understand the implications for our existing data:

If a device so far was identified via Advertising ID will switching to the App Set ID create a new Amplitude ID or will Amplitude be able to stitch new data to old data?

For new users it is not a problem but for existing users I would like to make sure, that our identification and therefore calculation of unique users remains unaffected. 

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 11 October 2021, 10:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

If you create a new Device ID and the User does not have a user ID, Amplitude might have difficulty linking the user to their previous device ID and may indeed create a new Amplitude ID/User. However, if you set a new Device ID with the same User ID, then Amplitude will be bale to merge the user ID to the correct user, assuming they already had a User ID set before this. It is best to pass the User ID with the event the device ID changes so that Amplitude will know the user to merge on. 

I hope this helps! Let me know !

Badge

Hello again,

I have a question considering the device ID on Android :Based on this article

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003135607-Track-unique-users-in-Amplitude#h_7cf7c47f-ec71-4e15-8c47-a2bda5d84186 “Device ID: Amplitude pulls the IDFV or generates a random alphanumeric string for the device ID;”

I assume that so far Amplitude always generates a random device ID for Android Users as there is no equivalent to the iOS IDFV. So Android 12 should not have any implications for the Device ID at all?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Carolin Kobelt ,

In this case, you could set the App ID as the Device ID as described here. You can regenerate a device ID here. I would reach through our android documentation in full and then you should be able to make the best decision given your context.

Hope this helps!