Solved

Full list of country anywhere?

• 30 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, I have a rather simple question.

Is there a full list of country names used on Amplitude somewhere?

I want to map country names to ISO3166 country codes but some country names on Amplitude are different to the ones in ISO-3166. For instance, ‘Myanmar’ is the name in ISO-3166, but Amplitude uses ‘Myanmar (Burma)’. 

So it would be really helpful if there’s a full list of Amplitude specific country names. Do we have such?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 2 May 2022, 01:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @chuck 

By default, Amplitude uses the collected IP address to determine a user's location properties (City , Country , Region , and DMA ) using the MaxMind database. But I’m not sure if the values in the Country property are directly mapped via MaxMinds ISO 3166 codes or if Amplitude has their own internal mapping.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @chuck ,

@Saish Redkar ‘s answer above is correct. We do not have a full list of countries anywhere but we do use MaxMind to determine location from the IP Address. 

Badge

Super thanks for both replies.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that some names don’t match with MaxMind’s and some country names change over time as well. :(

Temporary Solution:

I extracted all unique country names from our Amplitude and had to map some of them manually. (eg, Côte d'Ivoire to Ivory Coast, country code CI).

For the ones that might change in the future, I’ve set up a webhook to notify my team when it comes across a country name that’s not seen before.

It’s not a recipe for a complete list, but it will do for sometime hopefully.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@chuck 

Sometimes, people can be using VPNs or other internet traffic obfuscators so that they can appear in different countries than they actually are but I do hope the solution you have works for now, let me know if I can help any further!