Solved

GTM event Setup Video Walkthrough

• 2 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hey Community,

Wanted to know, if someone could guide me through GTM setup. 

I specifically want to know how to set up the events and user properties. Please keep in mind that we have no GA4 properties, just starting with Amplitude fresh.

Please let me know. Video Walkthrough are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nav

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 2 September 2022, 21:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @nav33ali ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community and I’m happy to help 👋

While we do not have a video walkthrough, we have an excellent Help Center documentation that walks through how to send data to Amplitude using GTM set-up. There are actually 3 different methods you can use: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033084831 

1. GTM Template - guided template
  2. Data Layer - this one has a web demo
  3. UI elements directly in GTM

Hope this helps! 

Badge

Can we assign User ID as an email? @belinda.chiu 

Badge

Hi @nav33ali ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community and I’m happy to help 👋

While we do not have a video walkthrough, we have an excellent Help Center documentation that walks through how to send data to Amplitude using GTM set-up. There are actually 3 different methods you can use: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033084831 

1. GTM Template - guided template
  2. Data Layer - this one has a web demo
  3. UI elements directly in GTM

Hope this helps! 

@belinda.chiu  Used this version, But there is no universal way for the setting to be explained in detail? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @nav33ali ! You can assign email as the User ID field if that is the unique identifier for your users. Some customers may see this as PII and don’t instrument email as User ID but it’s ultimately up to you on this decision. 

Also which version did you use? Option 1, 2, or 3? By “universal way” do you mean there’s some concepts like around User ID etc that you would like to know more about? If so, those questions are not GTM integration specific so there would be other articles that you can read instead. 

Badge

Hi @nav33ali ! You can assign email as the User ID field if that is the unique identifier for your users. Some customers may see this as PII and don’t instrument email as User ID but it’s ultimately up to you on this decision. 

Also which version did you use? Option 1, 2, or 3? By “universal way” do you mean there’s some concepts like around User ID etc that you would like to know more about? If so, those questions are not GTM integration specific so there would be other articles that you can read instead. 

Thanks @belinda.chiu

I have used the 1st method, through Amplitude Template based setup. 

if you can, please share those Articles, so i can have a full grip of the concept. 
Specifically, i want to know how can i set user ID as an email through GTM.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @nav33ali ! With the GTM Template, to set user ID, you will need to change the Tag Type to “setUserID” or if you are using the logEvent Tag Type, there should be a User ID field in the Initialization section:

You will need to use the variable/value that represents email in the field. 

Here are some concepts for setting up userID: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/206404628