Solved

User session: 2 methods to get sessions data for same time range, but data discrepancy is >5%. What are the difference in methodology?

• 8 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi amplitude experts, 

I need some helps. 

I use the user session chart, and noticed there are 2 ways in getting the session data for “any event”: 

1. in the event segment module, filter by event properties (brand=AA and country=ph), time range: last 4 days
  2. in the user segment module, use “Any event” filter by filter by event properties (brand=AA and country=ph), time range: last 4 days

However, the data discrepancy is 4-6%. 

May I know:

1. What are the different in methodology for these 2 ways which cause data differences?
  2. Which is the correct way to get “accurate session”data?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 8 November 2021, 16:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

HI @yingng ,

1. In the event segment module, filter by event properties (brand=AA and country=ph), time range: last 4 days
    1. This is when you are filtering on Any Event and seeing if any event had a brand=AA or country=ph at the time the event occurred. This is used for filtering on properties at the time they occurred for that event. So we are looking for Any Event, over the last 4 days, where the event itself has these properties.
  2. in the user segment module, use “Any event” filter by filter by event properties (brand=AA and country=ph), time range: last 4 days
    1. Here, we are filtering on users who at the time the user did the event, they had these properties. So we are looking for users who had the properties of brand=AA or country=ph at the time the event occurred for that user

However, the data discrepancy is 4-6%. ​​​​​​​

1. What are the different in methodology for these 2 ways which cause data differences?
    1. ​​​​​​​One way is when we look at the event properties that happened at the time of the event and the other is for user properties at the time the event occurred. It is possible that you are searching for event properties that occurred at the time of the event and then looking for event where the user properties didn’t occur at the time of the event. Would you be able to send me the two links to the charts in question? THis would let me break down the explanation by providing your own data back to you to understand. 
  2. Which is the correct way to get “accurate session”data?
    1. I would use the Any Event and then filter on the Event Segmentation module as you are looking particularly for events and not for user properties or properties users had at the time of the event. Does that make sense?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Badge

Hi Denis Holmes,

Thanks for the explanation. Now, I’ve better understanding on it. 

Sorry, I can’t share our data here as it’s enterprise data. We need to keep it P&C. 

Hope you can understand. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @yingng ,

Completely understand not wanting to share the data but glad you were able to understand it!