Solved

Measuring month on month retention

Hi,

I’m trying to analyse month on month retention for different users groups (those who were existing users in the previous month and those who were new users in the previous month) but I can’t seem to create a chart which gives me this analysis and also can’t find anything in Amplitude documentation which supports this.

Has anyone had any success in performing this kind of analysis with Amplitude charts? I thought I had found a way to do it by creating two user segments in a Segmentation chart, one segment is users who had performed the active event in each month and the second segment is users who had performed the event in the current month, offset by one month. Sadly this doesn’t give me the right numbers.

Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 12 May 2022, 02:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @dpommo 

The Lifecycle Chart  might be the go to approach to tackle this use case.

You can start with a chart like this - https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/317g8um using a monthly usage interval as you want to do a month over month. Then, identify which month’s new users and current users you want to analyze and then create a cohort out of those.

You can then use these two cohorts in your retention analysis.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @dpommo ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community and I’m happy to help 👋

I’m also not 100% sure if I am interpreting your use case correctly but I definitely +1 to Saish’s suggestion. You can also consider creating these monthly cohorts through the Cohorts page as well if you’re looking for users who were new and active in April, and looking for users who were active but not new in April. 

Something else that came into mind is maybe Retention Change over Time chart would help get you the picture that you are looking for as it surfaces the monthly cohorts but it does look at certain N-day or Unbounded retention: https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/40pzjly

Hope this helps!