Solved

Event property sum by user

• 27 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello,

I’m trying to answer the following question : How much a user spends on average per week.

It would be something like Total revenue / Users who did a purchase.

I don’t find a way to do that in the Event Segmentation, what is the best way to achieve that.

Thanks,

Matthias

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 29 September 2021, 00:47

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @matthiasr ,

If you are tracking the $revenue property, then I suggest going over the Revenue LTV documentation for the types of charts you can create. eg. like this one

If not, then a chart similar to this using custom formulas might help depending of how you want to interpret your revenue per user and the type of instrumentation done for collecting revenue events.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps!

Badge

Thanks for your quick reply,

I did try with formulas but I couldn’t achieve that result playing around the revenue property in Event Segmentation.

Another similar use case could be calculating average time spent listening to a song per user per week. With a Play Song event and a song duration property.

I prefer not to use the Revenue LTV chart because it’s not only a use case around revenue.

Do you know what kind of formula could achieve this ?

Thanks,

Matthias

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Using “Average of Property Value” in the event segmentation might help then. Something like this.

Badge

That is a good start, but I believe it’s the average by event.

I would like to have the average per user per week (or any other timeframe : day / month / ...).

I’m trying stuff like that : https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/k8af8l4

But I’m getting multiple values instead of a global average per user :

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @matthiasr - welcome to the Community! :wave:

Both Saish and yourself are off to a great start regarding a chart that represents Total revenue / Users who did a purchase! One slight addition I would recommend is to copy the Complete Purchase event as it’s own event to best represent Users who did a purchase. What I mean by this is https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/5w6ecn9

It’s essentially what both of you were trying to achieve with the Custom Formula but with a slight change. This change is needed because, without it, the group by condition will also apply to the Uniques metric - meaning you will be looking at a denominator of Uniques of Complete Purchase grouped by $revenue value. As such, if you don’t want the Unique count in the denominator to be grouped by, then we recommend setting the event separately by adding it as the 2nd event and querying Uniques on the whole event. 

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for jumping in ,@belinda.chiu !

That modified formula seems like the right approach to get the overall average per user that matthiasr is looking for here.

Badge

Thanks a lot @belinda.chiu !

It’s the way to go. I’m a bit sad that there is no documentation or learning docs for this kind of more advanced stuff.

Once you understand the logic behind one or two use cases like this one, you can get any metric easily !

Have a nice day,

Matthias 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Happy to have helped @matthiasr @Saish Redkar ! 

@matthiasr I do hear you out and we do have some documentation that is making headway into more advanced items (see below). While Amplitude continuously work on developing more self-service content, we are also very excited to see knowledge being shared through this new Community forum on topics like you’ve posed here. I hope to see you around more whether that is by asking questions, answering posts, or general knowledge sharing! :blush: Have a nice day!    

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001163231
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052734691