Error. Failed to modify ownership of notebook

• 9 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello, I am seeing an error when trying to add a co-owner to a notebook I created. Here’s how it looks: 

I am new to amplitude, so there’s a chance I am missing something or its a permissions issue. I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @aalqaroot 
Ideally, if you are the owner of the notebook or the org admin, you should be able to modify its ownership.

Can you try again if the above conditions are met?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Saish Redkar

Yes i am the creator and owner of the given notebook. When i click “share” and try to add a co-owner, I run into the error in the screenshot. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Does the person you are trying to add have Amplitude account and access to your project?

I just tested this in our org and adding co-owners was working fine.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@MikkoKarvonen The person i am trying to add has access to the team space and likely even has more permissions than my account. Unless “project” is a different thing than team space? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @aalqaroot 

A project is the bucket or container which you set up before sending in events for a given app and perform analysis within. This is different than a Team Space.

Quoting the documentation, “ a project is a way to subdivide your Amplitude organization into distinct territories—for example, you might want to create individual projects for different products, or for different areas or sections of your app. It’s a useful way to keep related analyses grouped together.”

A user may have access permissions to all the projects created in your org or just one project. As Mikko rightly mentioned, as long as the user you are trying to share the ownership is in Amplitude and has access to the correct project to which any chart/dashboard/cohort belongs, there shouldn’t be any issue.

Usually, when you are trying to share something to a user who is not part of that project , Amplitude will display a message saying “ User X is not a member of the ABC project(s).”

The error message you are getting could be a one-off bug if all the above discussed conditions are check marked and you might need to raise a support ticket if this persists.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Saish Redkar  I have confirmed that the user I am trying to assign as a co-owner is a member of the same Project. One thing to note is that I am set as a “Manager” in the project, however the user is an “Admin”. Could this be the reason why I am not able to share/assign co-owners to my notebooks? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That shouldn’t be the issue I think.

As per the docs, a manager is able to “Transfer ownership of content they don’t own”

@Denis Holmes Can you investigate if this is a potential bug?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello @aalqaroot! Welcome to the Community and I’m happy to help! :wave:

This case seems like it will require some additional troubleshooting. As such, let me connect with a Community moderator to help transfer this into a Support ticket that the Support team would be able to help with. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @Jacenda Davis  and everyone that contributed to my inquiry! 

Let me know what other info you need from me. 

-Abdul