Solved

Applications Launch and Load Time

• 9 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am interested in knowing the time it takes users to launch an application. This process should be as seamless as possible. An application should be able to launch, load, and transact with minimal trouble. However I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this.

icon

Best answer by jmagg 10 August 2022, 21:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Cortney Ketchum 

I wouldn’t recommend using Amplitude primarily for this use case as this kinda falls into an app performance metric. If it’s a web page app, then something like GA’s load time metric could be a better way to measure this or a custom solution on your backend.

In Amplitude, you will need accurate timestamping on two main events - your “app launch/initiation” event and the “app load” event. You can then create a funnel analysis of “this order” or “exact order” between these events ( assuming that the event flow stays the same every time a user launches the app) and use the “Time to Convert” metric view with millisecond resolution. e.g.https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/o54box2/edit/m330348

Another way would be to calculate the time difference between your app launch and app load event and instrument this as an event property on the app load event. You can chart this property over the desired time interval and see the average/distribution for all app loads using the average/distribution of property value metric from the event seg chart.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Cortney Ketchum - @Saish Redkar is spot on! To add on to what he’s said, Amplitude customers can track time spent on their end and then pass in the duration as an event property to any page view type events. You could then segment and analyze by property metrics like property sum, property average, or property distribution in Event Segmentation.

To track duration, you would need to capture the timestamp of a start event and timestamp of an end event, calculate the difference between the two timestamps, and then pass in the duration as an event property for that end event. For example, let's say you have a start event = 'Viewed Home Page' and an end event = 'Clicked Signup'. When the user fires the 'Viewed Home Page' event, you can create a variable in your code called first_timestamp and pass in the current timestamp. When the user is going to fire the 'Clicked Signup' event, you would calculate the difference between the current timestamp and first_timestamp and pass that value into the 'duration' event property. You would then send the 'Clicked Signup' event with the 'duration' event property. This way, you can segment and filter on the value of the 'duration' event property for the 'Clicked Signup' event to see how long it took users to click that button after viewing your home page. I also recommend normalizing the 'duration' event property to a numerical value like seconds so that you can perform functions such as property average in the UI.

Here's a potential solution that you could look into to track that:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4667068/how-to-measure-a-time-spent-on-a-page
Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@Drup looping you in on this thread, which might help with the questions you shared with me! 😁